Friday, March 27, 2009

The Birth Story

Baby Carter arrived 10 days early on Wed. March 5th, 2008. He weighed 8lb. 9oz. and was 21.5 in. long. Anesthesiologist unavailable = au naturel. *yoink*

Long story (kinda!) short...I started to get light contractions on Monday eve. and I had a Dr. appt on Tues. am so she checked to see how I was progressing. I was about 3cm and 80%. She said she thought it would happen soon but she was going on vacation soon so...she asked me if if didn't happen that day or Wed., how about being induced on Thurs am...sure!!! So I went home all happy that I'd be having him on Thursday!!


I had to go to work after my appt. because my last day was supposed to be that Friday...but instead it would have to be the end of the day! YAY!! So I went and wrapped things up. Drove home after work and was having very strong contractions (I'd had them all afternoon but was too busy to pay attention to how close they were since I was cramming in training my replacement - we thought we had a few more days still!). On the car ride home though...I had a clock in from of my face...5 min, 4 min, 7 min, 9 min, 5 min, 3 min. Holy cow!! Went home, had dinner, called the hospital to see if I should come in. I didn't want to go there and be sent home. But the nurse said come ahead in whenever I was ready because we were getting a big snow storm soon and we'd be better off at the hospital. So we watched a movie, then decided to go and the storm was just starting. Could hardly see the lines on the road. Yikes!

So we arrived at the hospital at about 12:30am, and at about 4am I was having very strong contractions - 7cm, she broke my water. It's a small town hospital and it ends up that the drug doctor is on call at night and was at best 45 min away on a normal night. He wouldn't make it for an epidural (they had no plans of calling him, lol, but didn't say that in so many words!). So, at 6am she said we're ready to push and 32 minutes later, he arrived!! Without drugs! And it wasn't that bad and I'm glad that I ended up going the natural route! I'll do it again next time.


humpsNbump said...

What a great story! When I read your sub-head "Anesthesiologist unavailable = au naturel" I had a minor heart attack for you. So glad the labour progressed quickly and it wasn't too bad going it without the drugs. If that was me the hospital wouldn't know what hit 'em. :)

~ humps

Post a Comment

Blog In The Oven Copyright © 2009
Scrapbook Mania theme designed by Simply WP and Free Bingo
Converted by Ipietoon Template